Daniel M. Lehman
Accomplished writer, reporter, editor, and proofreader with expertise in print and online publishing, content management, blogging, social media, and basic photo editing and HTML, whose work has been featured in publications including Backstage, Laughspin.com, amNewYork, Filmmaker Magazine, and more. Hard-working, versatile, and creative problem-solver with exceptional administrative, interpersonal, analytical, and technical skills.
Staff Writer, BACKSTAGE, New York, NY
Relied upon to write multiple daily and weekly news, features, interviews, profiles, advice columns, and cover stories as well as film festival, red carpet, and events coverage for print and online trade publication for actors. This content is consistently among the most popular and most shared on Backstage.com. Areas of expertise include film, television, comedy, theater, and all aspects of the performing arts.
Essential part of small staff during complete redesign and relaunch of the brand’s print and online products; also involved in consulting, overseeing, and implementing the publication’s overall social media strategy, as well as curating and composing daily e-newsletters, representing Backstage at events, and taking over other staff editors’ duties as needed.
Assistant Casting Editor, BACKSTAGE, New York, NY
Primary achievements for entertainment industry trade publication included reporting, writing, editing, and proofreading 200+ audition and job notices per week, for weekly print and daily online publication; increasing sales by building relationships with clients such as actors, casting directors, filmmakers, theater owners, and producers; consulting on improvements to brand’s overall marketing strategy; and frequently contributing news, interviews, columns, and other editorial content for Backstage magazine and Backstage.com.
• Most productive team member. Directly responsible for to growth in acquisition of new business and increase in weekly ad numbers and profits.
• Primary contributing writer and editor for Blog Stage, the official Backstage staff blog. Website traffic increased from less than 1,000 page views per month to approx. 30,000+ page views per month (up over 3,000%) in less than one year.
• Created, led, and managed Backstage’s online social media presence including Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube.
• Hired and managed a staff of one to three interns each semester. Also promoted to supervise, manage, and edit a staff of national freelance casting reporters for Backstage.com.
Research Assistant, ENVIROSELL, New York, NY
Part of a team responsible for compiling and delivering data based on video recordings related to retail shopping habits worldwide.
Arts & Entertainment Intern, amNEWYORK, New York, NY
Contributed feature stories and sidebar entertainment news content for print and online publication, updated weekly movie capsule reviews and summary chart, attended press events and screenings, transcribed interviews, and completed assorted office tasks for Manhattan’s most widely-circulated daily newspaper.
Production Assistant, FILMMAKER MAGAZINE, New York, NY
Integral part of small staff publishing a quarterly trade magazine with circulation over 60,000. Responsibilities included contributing articles, copy editing, fact-checking, organizing advertising campaigns, website and database updates, and various office tasks.
New York University College of Arts and Science, New York, NY
Bachelor of Arts Degree—Double Major: Journalism and Mass Communication; Cinema Studies
• Graduated Magna Cum Laude ( GPA: 3.70); Dean’s Honor List; Founder’s Day Award recipient
• One of 10 students selected for first year of a new program allowing limited number of BA candidates to declare Cinema Studies as double major.
• Relevant Coursework: Advanced Reporting, Literature of Journalism, The Art of Editing: From Copyediting to Top Editing, The Feature Article, Reporting I, TV and the Information Explosion, Cinema and Affect: Why the Movies Move Us, Film History: Silent Film, Comparative Directors, History of Italian Cinema, TV: History and Culture
Wissahickon High School, Ambler, PA
• Cumulative GPA: 3.71; Member of National Honor Society, Merit Scholar, Human Relations Award Recipient
• Editor-In-Chief of school newspaper, Trojan Times; Art Editor of student literary magazine, Aura
Actorfest NY, New York, NY
Supervised open casting calls, coordinated and led staff of volunteers, and served as liaison for casting directors at Backstage’s annual tradeshow event for actors, with 4,500+ attendees.
Freelance Marketing Email Writer, Terry Berland Casting, L.A.
Author of promotional email for casting director to attract new commercial clients, specifically targeted to sketch and improv comedy.
“The Joke,” short film, dir. Tim Young, New York, NY
Tribeca Film Festival, New York, NY
Volunteer, Screenings and Production
REFERENCES AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST.